The upcoming local elections in May are held during a difficult political, economical and social conjuncture for our country. Moral bankruptcy, austerity, arbitrariness, insecurity, impunity, alienation, resignation. Just a few words that describe the current situation in Greece.
This multi level crisis has cast its shadow on our island as well. We were not able as a society to set a number of common goals and the framework to claim them. In addition, basic unresolved infrastructure issues, with solid and liquid waste management being perhaps the most pressing, the deterioration and degradation of the natural and urban environment, as well as the explosion of massive and low budget tourism, are all issues that tamper with the image of the island and may very well jeopardize our future.
The current municipality was unable to convince or inspire active participation in the residents towards a common goal, they did not attempt or did not want to cooperate with other entities of the island, putting their ego first, being rigid, and rather preferring to satisfy petty party benefits.
Acknowledging issues and placing blame can only go on for so long until someone says ‘enough is enough’. And for us, that moment is now.
In view of the upcoming municipal elections, we decided to plan and propose a new course for development, in cooperation with local productive entities and residents, rejecting past practises and simultaneously changing mentality.
We founded our party, as an independent local government movement of citizens, and not a result of political process or personal ambition, which aims to change the scene in the municipality of Lefkada, by proving that active citizens have the power to promote new ideas that are realistic and feasible. We are here, because we envision a Contemporary Lefkada.
To get our municipality out of its fearful isolationism, following a trajectory that is extroverted and innovative. To dare to make a quality leap. To evolve our island into a place friendly towards its inhabitants, a place to LIVE. Let’s transform Lefkada in to the Green island, the island of Quality and Culture.
Our municipal objectives
• Every day life: Modernize our municipal services with the use of new technologies and eGovernment to offer contemporary and quality services to our residents and local businesses. Our priority is a civilized daily life.
• Social Politics: Upgrade and extend the social structures of the municipality, with the creation of new smart structures for the primary care of all residents, and especially vulnerable groups, such as the elderly and the disabled.
• Environment: Create contemporary infrastructures for a European Lefkada of the future and adopt regenerative systems of a circular economy, aiming to maintain the value of our local resources and minimizing the production of waste, while protecting the environment.
• Business: Support local entrepreneurship and create the appropriate environment to attract private investments. Tourism and “Blue Growth” (sustainability strategy) being the spearhead, while the entire territory of our municipality will benefit as a result. Create an entrepreneurship office. Make good use of every possible tool that can benefit our society to satisfy the needs for development and employment.
• Culture: Enhance and utilize the historical, religious and cultural heritage of Lefkada with the creation of archeological and historical routes. Committing 1,5% of the regular income of the municipality towards local culture, sports and other clubs to support their efforts and contributions.
• Economic Resources: Create a strategy plan to constantly and intensely claim financial tools and resources directly from the European Union, by utilizing individuals with specialist knowledge. Committing to utilize a specific percentage annually from the municipal income received from the marina towards future planning.
Participatory democracy can actually occur in local government, and we don’t want to be on our own in this effort. We need and strive for an open dialogue with the people of Lefkada, Kalamos and Kastos. We want to become familiar with the needs and ideas of our fellow citizens so that we can co-develop the final agenda of our party.
Contemporary Lefkada (Sixroni Lefkada in Greek) seeks to be your conscious choice. As a result of this, the interaction and activation of the residents will form the foundations of change that we envision and need.
A lot has to happen. We have the will, we have the abilities, we have the vision. In a realistic, organized and effective way. It’s up to us.